Friday, August 6, 2010

Quilt (s)

A few months back...ok several months back I began making a quilt.  When I started it I was still very much struggling figuring things out and reading, see me if you want more details.  So needless to say I made an error or two along the way.  I made up the pattern and just picked out fabrics I liked and didn't think about the quilt as a whole until I started trying to put it together.  This works for some people but for me...not so much!

I began experiencing some panic about it because I realize the quilt wasn't really 'me' and I was investing a lot of money and time into it.  I wanted it to be 'me' especially if it was going to be on MY bed.

About 3 weeks ago I was approaching what I thought was the end when...a fatal mistake was discovered.  And no I am NOT being too dramatic.  My mom graciously had drawn out the pattern I came up with for me and told me she only drew it until it started repeating.  I didn't put this info in the part of my brain that can be accessed easily so...I didn't remember.  I made the quilt all the way up to the first repeat which is about a 1/3 of the size it needed to be.  This would have been fine if I had enough fabric to make it but I didn't, ahhhhhh.

I contemplated making into a twin size for Mel but the pattern would have run the wrong way and the fabrics I chose weren't pre-teen material.  So...I am making three baby quilts out of my 1/3 of a queen, haha.  Truth be told they are much nicer as baby quilt than it would have ever been as a queen.

Isn't that how God works.  We head in one direction thinking we are doing one thing and disaster strikes and something better is made of it than we could have ever figured out in the first place.  I have about a dozen expectant mom's in my life, no joke, and I have been trying to make a gift for each one.  These quilts are going to be a nicer gift than a pair of baby booties any day.  At least I think so.    NOW

4 comments:

Anggi said...

This is a pre~view of the first baby quilt. I still have several steps to go before it is done. But I thought I would give you an idea of what I am talking about.

Anggi said...

Oh...and that is our new carpet in the background. Sorry about the poor quality of the picture.

Christina said...

I love both! You are so clever! If I had been making the quilt and realized the size was wrong, I would have just completely given up. But making a few smaller quilts is a great idea!!!

OnlyByHisGrace said...

Yay! That's so true how God works! I am sure those Mama's are gonna love the quilts.