Friday, May 29, 2009

Trying New Things

We are trying new things at our house right now trying to figure out what we really like in the fruit and veggie department. So at the store this afternoon I grabbed a couple of things that are high nutrient value. However, I don't really know how to best use them. The biggest stretch for us is kale! I really am uncertain how to use it. I know that kale nutrient value is the highest when cooked. Do any of you have any tried and true recipe's that use kale?

We also got some really tart nectarines and peaches. My first thought was to grill them to help them sweeten up. But I would like to know what you think. Do you have any idea's?

I finally remembered to buy ground flax and flax seed. I am so excited to have this around. I just had my first smoothie with ground flax and it was delish!

Trying new things all the time can be exciting but also a bit tiring. We aren't at a place yet where we have hit our stride. You know a place where you pull out a favorite recipe and you know it will be good. I have a moment of dread now every time I serve a meal wondering it the kiddos and hubs will eat it. But...that is all part of the process, right. You don't hit a home run every time! I did make a fantastic black bean soup the other day that I just love, and I just decided not to let it get to me that I am the only one eating it. Beans will grow on them in time...I hope.

3 comments:

Courtney said...

I've done grilled peaches and they are awesome. The recipe I have says grill the peach halves 2-3 minutes per side on a sprayed or oiled rack (I just spray the peach itself). Then top it with toasted nuts or I used grape nuts, which were super yummy. Drizzle with honey. I've served them with ice cream, but they are also good by themselves.

Anggi said...

Thanks that sounds yummy!

OnlyByHisGrace said...

For kale I have just been blending it so it isn't as obviously present in the soups etc. It is actually kinda pretty looks like parsley in the soup. I like it in all the soups I have put it in...just blend it up with some of the soup liquid and cook through. Also I add it to our spaghetti sauce...the kiddos don't like chunky sauce anyway so I have to blend the sauce and they don't know I am adding 2 or 3 cups of kale to it as I blend. It makes it less vibrantly red but no one has said anything, we all like it. If you do eat it raw it is great as a bed for coleslaw. The trick to eating it raw is to take it off the stem, discard stems, and massage with 1/2 tsp olive oil...or none..either way works and it softens the kale making it more palatable. CashnCarry has the best kale in my opinion. :)