Tuesday, October 7, 2008

"Take Up" and "Put On"

I woke up early this morning unable to sleep. I have come to enjoy these times on quiet with a house full of young children though I know towards the end of the day I usually fade quickly. I asked the Lord how to spend my special time and decided to make bread, drink some coffee, and begin reading a book that has come highly recommended. My bread is now rising, I have drunk my first cup of Joe, and I got to crack open my book. The book I was recommended is called, A Gospel Primer for Christians by Milton Vincent. Upon reading the acknowledgments page I was touched by the heart of the man writing the book. Then as I read just a few pages in I came across this quote I wanted to share with you.

"That God would tell me to "take up" and "put on" this gospel armor alerts me to the fact that I do not automatically come into each day protected by the gospel. In fact, these commands imply that I am vulnerable to defeat and injury unless I seize upon the gospel and arm myself with it from head to toe. And what better way is there to do this than to preach the gospel to myself and to make it the obsession of my heart throughout each day?"

A Gospel Primer for Christians by Milton Vincent


I have come to think because I am a child of the most high God that I am in a bubble. That He somehow places upon me the armor that he asks me to "put on". Yet I see such a vast difference in the days that I spend time with Him and the days that I don't. I am coming to understand that I need Christ in a greater way than I ever realized before. I am seeing that what He has done for me needs to be ever before my mind. I am so prone to wander, to injury, to despair without His heart in my focus. I need to be reminded to "Take Up" and "Put On" or just assume I am covered. I need to remember that everyday is a battle and I need every piece of His armor in place and my heart needs to be set upon His heart daily.

1 comment:

Erin said...

What a great reminder Ang. Thanks for sharing. :)