Friday, June 13, 2008

Early Morning Encouragement

I was awakened early this morning and then unable to go back to sleep. So about 4am I got up and decided to read. I pick up a small book that I started reading months ago but never finished. It is written by a puritan minister who died in 1635, the book is entitled The Bruised Reed. I love the content of this book but I have to admit I have struggled through some of the language. The portion I wanted to share with you written more simply and subsequently easier for me to grasp. It touched my heart and I thought that it may encourage you as well.

"Suffering brings discouragements, because of our impatience. 'Alas!', we lament, 'I shall never get through such a trial.' But if God brings us into the trial he will be with us in the trial, and at length bring us out, more refined. We shall lose nothing but dross (see also Zech 13:9). From our own strength we cannot bear the least trouble, but by the Spirit's assistance we can bear the greatest. The Spirit will add his shoulders to bear our infirmities."