Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Faux Taco's

After striking out day after day with feeding the fam food they will actually eat I finally hit a home run with diner tonight. We spent the day with some friends that are eating like we are. Shannon, the mom, warmed up refried beans and spread them on romaine lettuce leaves. Then she topped it with cut up veggies. The kids loved it! So this was my twist and adaptation of what I had on hand. I made a faux taco's...well I guess that is what I call them.


I used romaine lettuce leaves for shells.
I cooked up some chicken and used only half the taco seasoning.
I rinsed and then warmed up a can of kidney beans.
I cut up the usual toppings for taco's: tomatoes, avocado's, onions, jalapeno peppers, and then added more veggies. I lightly steamed broccoli and added thinly sliced carrots.

My kids went nuts. It may be that this meal was close to something they actually recognize that they like it so well. Whatever reason I know that I will be making this again.

I thought I would share it with you and maybe you can make some kind of adaptation to something you already add more veggies and fruit and surprise you family with a healthier alternative!

1 comment:

Erin said...

Way to go Ang! Sounds delish! It was so good to see you today!