Thursday, June 4, 2009

After the Garage Sale Soup!

My sister called me this morning telling me about a great garage sale put on a group of Christian carpenters. So we zipped into action and dressed as fast as we could and hit the sale. It was a really great one if only I had more cash on hand I could have filled a truck. But seeing that I need to clean out my garage it is probably a good thing that I didn't buy all that stuff. I did get a card table and chairs for $8, and end table for $8, a stool, a cake carrier, and the kids got a few toys. All that to say by the time we came home everyone was oober hungry.

I misplaced my eat for health cook book so I had to come up with something off the top of my head. This is what I came up with.

*I took for carrots and a cup and a half of water and blended it in my blender until it became a soup base.
* 1 cup of red lentils
* 2 cans of chopped tomatoes
* 2 cups of chopped broccoli florets
* about a cup of chopped carrots
* a bunch of green onions finely chopped
* 2 kale leaves (I actually used it, whoo hoo)
* Tbsp pepper
* Tbsp oregano
* about a cup of prepared creamy carrot soup (left overs)
* about a cup of corn (I don't recommend corn for nutrition but my kids love it)
(If I made this again I would have added fresh rosemary and bay leaves)

I cooked it about 20 minutes or so and then put more than half of it back into the blender and blended, blended, blended.

My kids had seconds! This is truly miraculous. My kids have really struggled with all of this new food and I have started to get really run down with all of the complaining and special orders. I think their taste buds are adjusting and they are starting to get the into the groove of it.

4 comments:

Anggi said...

I reheated the soup with brown button mushrooms and wasn't really impressed. Sometimes things are better the first time around.

Stephanie said...

That is awesome Anggi!!! I would have never thought to put any of that together!

Erin said...

Way to go Ang! You creative concoctor (sp?) of healthy recipes!!!

OnlyByHisGrace said...

I am so encouraged to hear this, Anggi, praise the Lord for His faithulness to you in this area. I so completely understand the energy drain it is when they don't like it or want some special order or just aren't happy and enjoying the food. What a blessing when they are happy and enjoying the food and it's healthy food at that! Keep at it and don't give up. You are doing a great job! :)