Friday, August 22, 2008

Peaches are done!!!

I finally finished with the peaches! Because I haven't been feeling well I had to modify what I did with them. I ended up freezing all of them, well what we didn't eat and make into crisps and cobblers. I think I have 7 or 8 quart bags in the freezer. Peaches are way more work than blueberries but we ate the blueberries so fast that none of them ever made it into the freezer. I am so glad that we will have something for a while.

Today my mom, sister, all the kids, and I went blackberry picking. They were small and kind of squishy so we didn't pick much. I picked just enough for a crisp. I really have enjoyed the fresh produce this summer and would like to learn to can next summer. I have been saying that for a good 6 or 7 years though. It is a lot of work but man it feels good to have non processed food around. It really appeals to the pioneer women in me.

Jason's parent got a side of organic beef recently. It was the most wonderful tasting meat I can remember having since I was a kid. We had t-bone steaks with her garden fresh broccoli and french green beans, and a peach crisp that I brought. We all truly relished that meal. Jason and I would really like to buy a side of beef, too.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Yum, your crisps and cobblers sound delicious!

And John and I have also always wanted to buy into a side of cow (organic). It's spendy, but SO worth it.
We should go in together on a side so it wouldn't be as much.