Friday, August 14, 2009

New Cookie Recipe

This week I have tinkered with two cookie recipes. The first one is the toll house cookie recipe. I made the toll house recipe like normal except these three things. I used half all purpose flour and half whole wheat flour. In another cookie recipe I made months back the recipe it called for dark corn syrup to help make them chewier. So in the toll house recipe I added a tablespoon of dark corn syrup. Finally, I added a tablespoon of coffee. What??? Yep coffee (brewed coffee from earlier in the day). It helped make them more flavorful with adding a touch of color. I didn't taste the coffee but I felt it added a richness in flavor.

Today, I made another cookie recipe for oatmeal cookies.


Oatmeal Cookies

1 cup of butter flavored shorting. I usually use real butter for cookies but shortening seems to work better in this recipe.

1 cup of sugar (I tend to like my cookies a little less sweet so I don't fill the cup all the way to the top)

1 cup of brown sugar

1 tsp of vanilla

2 eggs

Cream together above ingredients

In separate bowl I combined these dry ingredients

1/2 cup of whole wheat flour

1 cup of all purpose flour

1 tsp. of baking soda

1/s tsp of salt

1 tsp of cinnamon

1 Tlbs of flax seed (adds a nice pop and is great for you)

Add dry ingredients to wet and blend

Fold in 3 cups of Old Fashioned Oats (they give a better texture to the cookie)

Fold in one bag of cinnamon chips (this was the first time I used them and we loved them) or chocolate chips, or raisins.

Bake at 375 for 11 minutes

The things I added were, flax seed, whole wheat flour, and cinnamon chips. These cookies have a nice thin layer of crunch on top and are chewy in the middle. Oh, so good.

4 comments:

Christina said...

Okay, now I am just hungry for cookies!

Anggi said...

I forgot to mention to you that your cookies that you made with Mel were awesome!!! Thank you again for having her over!

Stephanie said...

Oh yum, I might try this today!!

f wade said...

you can use all whole wheat flour and they still taste great!