Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Summer Education

I would like to invite anyone that is interested to join us in our summer education fun. I have been brainstorming some idea's of what I would like to do with my kids this summer. This plan would be so much more fun if you were to join us.

Because we are moving we won't be starting our summer program until July 14th.


These are some of the idea's I had.
One~
Summer Reading
Summer Olympic reading program. They would have the opportunity to earn, bronze, silver, and gold medals for reading books on their own or having them read to them. At the end of the summer if they had earned a medal I was thinking a gathering all the kids that joined us in our reading for some kind of celebration. For my children I was thinking of having a reading list to give them a guide for their reading. They would need to read a certain amount of books from the list and the rest would be free reading. What I was thinking it would look like is something along these lines.

50 books=a bronze medal
75 books=a silver medal
100 books=a gold medal

Second~
Pen Pals
I was thinking snail mail Pen Pals would be great for the summer. This has many benefits educationally. Subsequently, I think they would enjoy making new friends and getting things in the mail.
There are on-line services that can help you find pen pals. There are international agencies that will give your child several names that they can write to. Or, we could have our kids write to one another if this is something you are interested in joining us in.

Third~
Math
I had a thought of having Math play dates. (Now, I have to admit math is not a strength of mine.) We have one 'math' game called, SMATH. My thought is that we would have a normal play date but a play date with a purpose. So we would bring our kids favorite math game or as parents we could create a math game of some kind.

1 comment:

Anggi said...

One thing I would like to add is that if you would like to only participate in one of these area's that is great too!